Our standard division of labor had to change this spring. Normally Maureen, my unbelievably talented wife, takes on the lion’s share of planting and maintaining our vegetable gardens and I take care of our fruit tree orchards, blueberry orchard, soil amendments in all of the gardens (basically manure and compost), and the corn patch. But this year Maureen fractured her wrist in four places which required surgery, a metal plate, and a hardware store of stainless steel screws to repair it. This gave me the opportunity to take on more of the vegetable garden duties, at least temporarily.
I have to admit that I was more than a little out of practice when it came to this new charge. And even though Maureen still did about half of the gardens (planting beds, starts, and seeds) I was a wee bit nervous about the results of my plantings; tomatoes, beans, husk cherries, egg plants, and peppers. About 20 tomatoes were planted amongst an organic paper row cover. Pole bean quadripods were erected and planted, rows of bush beans installed, eggplants and peppers were neatly line up in rows, and the husk cherries (a new adventure) were installed. A garden of corn was also planted.
It took about a day and a half to do it all. Then it rained for 3 straight weeks. Almost 12” of rain fell on the newly planted crops. The transplants were begging for life jackets. I saw seeds in small rafts trying to steer through the white water as saturated soils let the rain run off into adjacent landscaped areas. In the end enough survived so that I didn’t have to replant too much. Since then we’ve been in an extended period of hot and humid weather. The transplants have actually started to grow. Seeds have sprouted and are enjoying the hot weather. We have occasional showers to keep the soil moist but not so much that the water runs off. My corn plot is doing well. I did two separate plantings about 3 weeks apart. The early planting is about thigh high while the later planting is pushing 12 inches. If we get a normal yield we should get a couple hundred ears of corn most of which will end up in the freezer.
Somewhere in there, I think it was the second to last day of June, I broke my foot in multiple places while wrestling with Cooper our male bloodhound. He zigged and I zagged and ran into our brick hearth while tumbling forward. Ouch! Double ouch! Maureen was away in Ireland and I knew I could not drive so I put a dislocated back in the socket and set the bones that appeared grossly out of place myself. Triple ouch! A couple days later I had some very nice pictures taken of a very ugly foot and found out I had broken the little toe in five places and the bone directly behind the little toe in the foot. So now I get to hobble around, wearing an air cast when I do any serious walking, while I wait for the darned foot to heal.
But the garden is doing good! Maureen’s wrist is on the mend!
And Cooper secretly laughs at me when my back is turned!
Hey, a good dog has to have a few laughs now and then. Otherwise what’s the point!
Written for www.wildramblings in July 2013.